Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Defining Forgiveness

Some of us forgive for different reasons. For me their have been several reasons why I have forgiven others:
1. I truly wanted the relationship to work (intimate/friendly).
2. I felt partly responsible for their actions.
3. I too had done wrong and had either been forgiven or wished for forgiveness.
4. I understand that people are not perfect and make mistakes.
5. and most importantly, I have been forgiven for a lot of things I regretted later!

Forgiveness is not just in our words, it is also in our actions. We can't say we forgive someone but yet throw it in their face everytime we get a chance to do so.  We can't continue to harbor ill feelings. We can't attempt to get them back or be vengeful. We can't go out and do something to hurt the person like they hurt us.  We can't hold a grudge and we can't continue to make the person "pay for their mistakes."
Forgiveness is all in our actions and what and how we deal with that person from the point of forgiveness moving forward.

Some definitions of forgiveness are:

"act of pardoning somebody: the act of pardoning somebody for a mistake or wrongdoing; forgiving quality: the tendency to forgive offenses readily and easily"- http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+forgiveness&qpvt=define+forgiveness&FORM=DTPDIA

"Forgiveness is the renunciation or cessation of resentmentindignation or anger as a result of a perceived offense, disagreement, or mistake, or ceasing to demand punishment or restitution"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

"to cease to blame or hold resentment against"- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forgive

Some links I read on forgiveness:

I hope this helps you as it as helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment